opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Fuel System

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Rabs
Go Spurs Go!

Typhoon intake w/ fuel rails

Hey everybody,
I found a 96mm typhoon intake with rails and all fittings/bolts for $300. Its a polished aluminum finish and will fit on my LS2. I don't know much about these and was wondering if any of you have any experience or knowledge about these.

$300 seems like a good deal, but is it too good to be true?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Poolshark1321

I would stay away from that intake manifold personally... not something I would ever recommend. They suffer from heat soak since it is aluminum and they also do not perform nearly as well as they were supposed to. Typhoon tried to make a new affordable intake manifold for less money than the FAST... that out performed it. It doesnt out perform the FAST, but it is cheaper for sure.

IMO you are better off with a fully ported (internal pillars removed etc) LS2 intake manifold... as you should see very similar hp/tq gains vs the 96mm Typhoon or pony up for the FAST setup and be done with it. Stock LS2 intake or mildly ported LS2 intake wont perform as well as the Typhoon 96mm though... close but no cigar. I am sure you can port the Typhoon too to squeeze some more power out of it... but the biggest thing that gets me is it being aluminum and having the heat soak issues compared to a plastic intake manifold, that alone turns me off from it completely.

Its nice that it comes with aftermarket aluminum fuel rails included in the kit... you can buy the intake/kit new for $450 shipped btw. Used for $300 is a decent deal though for sure... and if in good condition worth that price. You just have to make the decision of if this is an intake manifold you really want or not.

The one thing they are pretty damn good for is Nitrous though... since they are aluminum they have special provisions to shoot the nitrous directly into each runner.

Quote from their website...

Quote:
All three styles of the manifold also include nitrous bosses suitable for drilling and tapping for nitrous nozzles. Note that there is only space for a single tapped hole per port.

Last edited by Poolshark1321; 09-30-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Poolshark1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Rabs
Go Spurs Go!

Everything you just talked about is what I've read about them after posting this thread. The heat soak deal kinda turned me off on it and ive already decided not to purchase it. The money will go elsewhere. I appreciate all the info, Josh!!