opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Tuning and Dyno

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Infernus
Resident Pontiac Nerd

Adding timing (self tuning)

This may sound like a dumb question, but what methods do you use to add timing in HPT? I'm ordering headers in the next few days so that they'll be here in spring, and I've got a track day lined up for late April.

I've already tuned my car by myself, and I've got the AFR correction thing down, but I'm not sure how to safely add timing to the factory timing tables. I'm assuming you add one degree at a time across the board and use a histogram to track KR and pull timing in those specific cells?

BTW, I have my tune set up such that my KR attack rate is halved and the decay rate is doubled... I was getting random KR up to 7 degrees all over the place on the factory tune with several different brands of gas but no audible knock. Someone told me the cure was to do just that, since their experience was that the LS2 knock sensors are too sensitive. My high octane table is also copied over to the low octane table.

Thanks in for your help/insight.
Mods: Svede, Stepped Kooks/Catless mids, Bassani, HPT self tune, -168lbs

Last edited by Infernus; 02-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Infernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Infernus
Resident Pontiac Nerd

lol, considering the responses, I'll let you know how it goes once I've got it figured out...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Kjhallex
Auto Swap Complete!

I don't like desensitizing the knock sensors unless you have to. I've only had to do it on a 04 gto, I just add timing to the entire table 2 degrees at a time and then stop when you see knock and retard it a degree or two depending on where your at in the rpm/load.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Infernus
Resident Pontiac Nerd

I'm going to run a few tests on the knock sensors, make sure they're torqued to spec, aren't out of spec for resistance, and respond to legit knock (tap test) before I start playing with timing in earnest. The fuel I've been buying has been from one and only one station, which the 93 tested out at 4.6% corn juice and 0% water, so the fuel seems to be of good enough quality.