opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > General Tech

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
helicopterpilotdoug

Ignition switch problems

Some GTO owners have had problems with the key not turning the ignition switch.

Here is the GM Tech. Service Bulletin No. 09-02-35-003.

I'm fortunate I guess, because the former owner of my Goat had this problem just before he traded her in, and a new one was installed. So I should not have that problem for awhile. If you have the problem there are a couple of ways to go about fixing it. Some have removed the Ignition housing and used a dremel tool to smooth out the bump on the ramp, caused by the hard thump you feel when you remove the key. The original part that came on our Goats is very soft, and prone to excessive wear in no time. My GTO had only 26818 miles on her when the problem happened. High temperatures, like we get here in Texas, seem to contribute to having this happen. Unfortunately I don't know if when they changed the lock cylinder they replaced it with the old part (which will be prone to having the same problem) or the new one. If you have not had the problem yet, and the ignition lock cylinder has not been replaced, You need to be ready! The new part supposedly has been upgraded so the metal does not wear away like it does on the original. Most of us don't have warranty any more, so if you have to pay for a new part, make sure you get the new style lock cylinder.
Part numbers:
Old style: 92172018
NEW STYLE: 92234035
If anyone here has done the dremel mod, or replaced the cylinder and has photos, please start a thread about it. This is something that all of us will go through at some time with our Goats, so please share your experiences with this. We need more DYI threads here on GasTiresOil.com, so if you do any mod, please take photos and start a thread about it.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
sergo
bad apple

i have done the dremel mod but didn't take pix while doing it so i can't do the a DIY on it. there is a whole write up on it on the "other" board.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
helicopterpilotdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergo View Post
i have done the dremel mod but didn't take pix while doing it so i can't do the a DIY on it. there is a whole write up on it on the "other" board.
Yeah, I know about the thread on the "other" board. I'm hoping someone will do it here though.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Lancer-AM
The All-Seeing Mod

I have done the mod a few times now, I'll do a write up in a few days.

Stratified S-OTS Stg2 93
JBR Power Path Stage 3
JBR 70A RMM
Autotech HPFP Internals
CP-E TMIC
Sure Short Shift Plate
ABT Slotted Rotors
Cobb 3" Downpipe
Swift Spec-R Springs
JBR Rear Sway Bar
Lancer-AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
helicopterpilotdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer-AM View Post
I have done the mod a few times now, I'll do a write up in a few days.
All right Lancer!! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Robofuzz
FYI - this new revised lock cylinder (part# 92234035) is only $29.81 from GMPartsDirect.com. I think I'll order one to have handy.

2005 GTO - MBM M6 (slightly modded)
Robofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
helicopterpilotdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofuzz View Post
FYI - this new revised lock cylinder (part# 92234035) is only $29.81 from GMPartsDirect.com. I think I'll order one to have handy.
Good idea RoboFuzz. I'm ordering one too. Hopefully when the previous owner had the problem back in June of this year, the new part number was put in. But, to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to have it on hand.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

I have done the dremel mod for my car (about 2 years ago). I've replaced 2 cars as preventative maintenance with the new part number. And now, as of 7/14/10 I have had to unlock another goat w/ a fully failed ignition switch and replace with a new one.
I have started a Tennessee Preventative maintenance campaign to try and keep my fellow TN Goat Herd Members from getting stranded somewhere with this problem.
I have had great response from my locals about getting theirs done. I've had 23 confirmed so far. Just awaiting parts.
Lspwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Poolshark1321

My ignition locked up on my 2 days ago while I was leaving work. Car was really hot inside after sitting in the sun all day. With some help from Danny/QSGTO I finally got it to work. Just needed some lubricant and a little shaking of the wheel to get it going. Seems to be working with no problems now but I am going to do the dremel mod one day I imagine.

This writeup is great, thank you!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark1321 View Post
My ignition locked up on my 2 days ago while I was leaving work. Car was really hot inside after sitting in the sun all day. With some help from Danny/QSGTO I finally got it to work. Just needed some lubricant and a little shaking of the wheel to get it going. Seems to be working with no problems now but I am going to do the dremel mod one day I imagine.

This writeup is great, thank you!
For the amount of time invested in doing the dremel mod, I would honestly say just replace the cylinder with the new revised part.
I did ANOTHER local goat last night in my drive way. Start to finish, 14 minutes. and that includes going in and out of garage for grease, tools, and then a rag to wipe my hands. lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

Yet another replaced lock cylinder for a local.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

It is very apparent that this locked ignition problem is brought on by the heat and humidity.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

AND did another cylinder today at the shop.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
tom's2005gto
modding all the time

^^^ I have watched him change three, he's got it down to a science !

mods.... yep I've done them!
427 TVS2300 Killer Chiller Meziere ETP 245 Lonnie's twin pump system Hendrix-Engineering 8.8 LSPWR mini tubbed with 315's. Converted from M6 to a 4L80E built by FLT Yank SC3000
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

2 more new cylinders arrived today. . .
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
tom's2005gto
modding all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lspwr View Post
2 more new cylinders arrived today. . .
so... how many of these have you done now?

427 TVS2300 Killer Chiller Meziere ETP 245 Lonnie's twin pump system Hendrix-Engineering 8.8 LSPWR mini tubbed with 315's. Converted from M6 to a 4L80E built by FLT Yank SC3000
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
Lspwr
Tubbed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom's2005gto View Post
so... how many of these have you done now?
Including yours and mine, personaly installed 13 so far. Sold 19 thus far since sending out the Proactive mod P.M.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #18
tom's2005gto
modding all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lspwr View Post
Including yours and mine, personaly installed 13 so far. Sold 19 thus far since sending out the Proactive mod P.M.
You sir are serving your fellow GTO owner, very well!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Poolshark1321

Great writeup... need to do this asap, mine locked up on me a couple weeks ago after the car sat in 100+ F temps all day. I had to play around with getting it unlocked for an hour or so before I could go home. Little spray silicon fixed mine right up and seems to work great now. I just dont want to take a chance...
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Sherry

Thank you so much helicopterpilotdoug for posting this. I was trying to leave work about a week ago and my key wouldn't turn. I had the car towed home so my husband could work on it. We have the service manual, but the instructions for removing the lock cylinder assume that you can turn they key. Luckily, I had also found your post that explains how to remove it when the key won't turn.
Thanks again!
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
MRoules

Great stuff here on the ignition locking problem. I located a YouTube video which is very straightforward:

However, I may have caused myself a problem ... when I re-inserted the pin, I rotated the clylinder to lock the pin BEFORE setting the key to the proper location. Now, I cannot turn the key OR remove the pin.

Can anyone help with a procedure to release the pin or do I have to cut it out and get a new one? (See new post below for my victory)

Last edited by MRoules; 05-22-2013 at 07:15 PM.
MRoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
MRoules

Follow-up .... Managed to remove pin using a thin flathead screwdriver, vise, and needlenosed pliers. Too complicated to explain.

Found this explanation for the removal/replacement ... Also very useful:

http://www.wikiauto.com/Pontiac-GTO-...ion_cylinder_5

Now proceeding with the re-installation.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
MRoules

Installation complete and done. The new part got some white lithium in the track where the pin rides. Not impressed with the quality of the casting in the new part. This project was WELL WORTH IT since I had been quoted $300 + part ($60).

However, the design and casting quality from GM sucks. Slightly better metal and a smoother finish would make this part last forever ... instead of the chronic breakdown reports you can find on the web.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #24
trollerguy

My 33,000+ GTO will not shift into gear when starting

It just happened. I started my 05 GTO up this eve went to move it into the garage and it would not go in any gear. I turned off the ignition and it shifts in any gear.. So I start it back up and no shift into gear. Its a 6 speed. Never had this problem before. Could it be in the ignition swith?
trollerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #25
dukesos

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterpilotdoug View Post
Some GTO owners have had problems with the key not turning the ignition switch.
This is something that all of us will go through at some time with our Goats, so please share your experiences with this. We need more DYI threads here on GasTiresOil.com, so if you do any mod, please take photos and start a thread about it.
Gyday from Melbourne, Australia, and thanks for everyone's advice.
We have had a similar problem with our GM Holden VT Commodore, which seems to have the same steering column as yours.
Unfortunately we were not able to turn the ignition to the ON position , in order to withdraw the faulty barrel. As it turned out, our barrel had cracked and broken, with a dislodged piece jamming the ignition permanently in the LOCK position.
So, our solution was a bit more dramatic, as follows;
-Leave the key IN the ignition.
-Depress the sprung loaded lock, with a pin through the hole from above, in accordance with the normal procedure to withdraw the barrel assembly.
-Slowly rotate the barrel assembly from LOCK to ON, the the help of a pair of 15 inch multigrips. The broken piece of barrel was spat out without causing any any other damage.
-Install new barrel assembly, as normal.

We would recommend that the dremel die grind modification should be avoided, since our old unit had cracked on that same line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-17 17.56.44.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	1914   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-17 17.55.51.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1915  
dukesos is offline   Reply With Quote