opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Tuning and Dyno

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Robofuzz
Duspeed Idle Issue Solved!

I've been having a bit of a problem getting my GTO to idle as smoothly as I'd like. I've had some issues with it at low speed as well, and particularly with the cruise set when the engine goes from under load to coasting. It likes to buck a bit under those conditions.

For background info: I've got a Duspeed intake that's been retrofitted with an LS3 MAF. I repinned the stock harness for the card-style MAF.

I had read that some who have done this with a Duspeed recommended installing a honeycomb air smoother right in front of the MAF to counteract the effects of reversion. Reversion is an issue since the MAF is now so close to the throttle body and the car is cammed.

I bought the air smoother a long time ago and just never installed it. This past weekend, I decided to install it and see if it made a difference. I got some JB Weld, trimmed the honeycomb to fit in the Duspeed, and glued it in place so that it's about 1/8" in front of the MAF.

Holy crap what a difference! I've got some more logging and tweaking of the MAF table to do, but it smoothed out the idle and low speed operation dramatically. Bucking is completely gone. I guess the reversion was throwing off the MAF more than I realized.

2005 GTO - MBM M6 (slightly modded)
Robofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Mickey21
Gen U Whine Holden Driver

Very interesting. Glad you got it sorted.
2006 Torrid Red GTO (Moved to NZ from Austin, TX) - Mods installed - CAM/Tune/2800StallConverter/Kooks1'7/8HeadersSS/SSRacingHighFlowCats/CorsaSportXO-CrossoverExhaust/CAI/Rods/Springs/SuspensionBushings&LoweredStifferSprings/PortIntake/SSBrakeLines/SonyXNV-770BT&RearCamera/SpeakerUpg/(430rwhp/410tq)

~500HP Holden Crewman SS - 5.7 LS1 - Lumpy Cam - Mafless Tune - Catless Straight Exhaust - Custom Paint - SOLD to pay for mods/shipping GTO to NZ.
Mickey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Jeffemac

Interested in more details. Where did you get the honey comb mesh, and how exactly did you glue it in place. I have thought about this, but have fears of honey comb mesh ending up in my new motor.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #4
Stang2Goat
College = overrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffemac View Post
Interested in more details. Where did you get the honey comb mesh, and how exactly did you glue it in place. I have thought about this, but have fears of honey comb mesh ending up in my new motor.
JB Weld. Let it cure the full 24 hrs and you will never have honeycomb anywhere but inside the intake.

Glad you commented on this, Jeff. My idle comes and goes and can be embarrassing. I thought it was my tuner, but the lack of air straightener makes perfect sense! Which one of us wants to be the guinea pig for this experiment...

I think Chris may have done a write up elsewhere, maybe on the 'old forums' that rhyme with ls1gt-oh-no.com...

Did I mention...All-Motor?

Too many reasons to be unhappy in life:
Pharmaceutical Grade LS-Motors - still the best drug, since 1997!
Stang2Goat is offline   Reply With Quote