opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Body, Appearance, Detailing

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #26
MuhThugga

Send a message via AIM to MuhThugga
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonergto View Post
#9 is ok, its good for a final polish after some heavy removal. I have some, never really use it. Some of the meguiars products (#80, 83, 9, ScratchX, and a few others) have diminishing abrasives, so once they are only so aggressive. Because of this you can use #80 as the last step, and sometimes the first, when polishing it out. Once you get into the higher abrasives for rotaries (84, 85, 95, etc.) they don't diminish like that, so they always need to be followed up with something else.

Are you using a DA or a rotary with these?
Porter Cable Random Orbital
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #27
soonergto

A random orbital or a dual action polisher?

There is a difference, and there is a difference in what products should be used.

Just trying to clarify.
soonergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #28
MuhThugga

Porter Cable 7424
I'm going to have to double check to see if it is the XP or not when I get home.

Last edited by MuhThugga; 07-28-2009 at 10:52 AM.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
soonergto

Ok, so thats the DA.

With the DA you should avoid using the products with higher abrasive qualities such as the #4, #84, #85, etc. They are made for use with a rotary only, some of them are made for use with a wool pad on a rotary only.

Be careful, the DA is a great tool, but has its limitations when it comes to what products you can use and the severity of defects it can remove.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Pappa Prich

Wow, I really need to pay attention to this thread ...suscribed for sure!

I consider myself a good detailer and I always have car looking good, but in all honesty I wish I had more knowledge on which products to use. When I first got started I went to the Steve at 'tropicare' because he was a board sponsor and helped to point me in the right direction. I have been using a claybar, sealant, and wax ever since. I typically claybar the car a couple times a year and seal and wax pretty much everytime it is washed.

Usual process - clean/shampoo, repeat, claybar, seal, wax. ...Am I on the right track here? I use a porter cable as well. The products that I currently have are almost gone so I was thinking about switching...not getting the right shine that I want. I was originally thinking about Zaino, but damn that stuff is expensive.
Build order plate, 20% tint, HIDs, SCSS gatorpod w/oil/fuel gauges, Kircher Splitter, BP Oil Catch Can, SCSS T & MMs, Hendrix-ENG wires, Hendrix-ENG Brake Lines, NGK TR-55 plugs, 160 Tstat, RPM Hardcore CAI, SLP Underdrive pulley, P&P TB & Intake Manifold, Ed Curtis StreetSweeper Blower Cam & valvetrain Kit, FTI 3600ish converter w/Hayden Trans Cooler, Coated Kooks S.S. Headers, Kooks 3" catted mids, Bassani Cat-back.
Pappa Prich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #31
soonergto

Ive tried Zaino and im really not a fan. It leaves an incredible glossy finish, but lacks any depth in the reflection. They are also big on "layering" which doesn't happen.

The key to detailing your own car, is to find a system/product you like and use it often. Youre the only one that has to be happy with it.

Detailing someone elses car is another story.

Steve at Tropicare is a cool guy, met him at Goatfest this year. They have some good stuff, and ive tried a few samples, but nothing that would make me change what I am doing now.

I am certianly open to new stuff though, poor boys makes some great lsp's.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
MuhThugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonergto View Post
Ok, so thats the DA.

With the DA you should avoid using the products with higher abrasive qualities such as the #4, #84, #85, etc. They are made for use with a rotary only, some of them are made for use with a wool pad on a rotary only.

Be careful, the DA is a great tool, but has its limitations when it comes to what products you can use and the severity of defects it can remove.
So, use #83 with a light-cut foam pad.
Follow up with #80 on polishing pad.

That is what you usually do?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #33
soonergto

Yeah, #80 can be used on a cutting pad as well if needed. But if its your final polishing, then use the polishing pad.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
MuhThugga

Well, of course, that's a given.

I guess I'll give a few things a shot the next time I go at it, which shouldn't be too long from now.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #35
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
Porter Cable 7424
I'm going to have to double check to see if it is the XP or not when I get home.
Some of the visual differences between the 2 machines are:

The 7424XP has a longer, little more narrow body than the regular 7424.

The power trigger on the XP is also slightly larger and more protected(against accidental start/stop than the previous model.

The speed dial is also been relocated to lower base of the XP machine compared to the butt end of 7424.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #36
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Prich View Post
Wow, I really need to pay attention to this thread ...suscribed for sure!

I consider myself a good detailer and I always have car looking good, but in all honesty I wish I had more knowledge on which products to use. When I first got started I went to the Steve at 'tropicare' because he was a board sponsor and helped to point me in the right direction. I have been using a claybar, sealant, and wax ever since. I typically claybar the car a couple times a year and seal and wax pretty much everytime it is washed.

Usual process - clean/shampoo, repeat, claybar, seal, wax. ...Am I on the right track here? I use a porter cable as well. The products that I currently have are almost gone so I was thinking about switching...not getting the right shine that I want. I was originally thinking about Zaino, but damn that stuff is expensive.
There is no harm in experimenting with different products to get the desired look for your car. I do this practically everyday day when not in the office or online. Getting the right shine is just part of the multi-step process before applying a last step wax or sealant.

Depending upon the clear coat hardness of the car, I may use multiple polishes to start removing circular scratches/swirl marks. For example, I can use Menzerna Intensive Polish with a white or orange pad to remove these scratches on the softer GTO clear. On scratch-resistant harder clears, I have started using Meguiars M105 Ultra-Cut Compound with a purple compounding or yellow cutting pad for deeper/stubborn blemishes.

Once these have been leveled from the surface, a softer pad/micro-abrasive polish may be in order to restore clarity, smoothness and gloss on the surface. A black/gray finessing pad and Menzerna PO 106 FA, our own TC-8 Swirl Cutter or Meguiar's M205 will do the job. After this step, you can apply the wax or sealant and the surface will look incredible.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
BillsMafia
"Post Whore" Moderator

I've gotta get some good detailing stuff... Right now I'm just using some stuff that you can buy at your local Autozone.. I might have to order some Tropi Care goodies!!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
MuhThugga

Just to update this thread, I just ran out of the Meguiars Synthetic Sealant today.... the very same bottle I was using when I started this thread.

Obviously, I don't do this every day, but I wasn't exactly applying with an eyedrop or reserving this bottle solely to my car. I got two bottles of the stuff when I started this thread, and I just cracked open the second one.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #39
opmiii

Wow you guys are deep!! Thanks for the write-up. I just ordered the 64oz of the Meguiars Synthetic 2.0 since I could not find it local. I hope I get it in before the San Antonio trip to Blackjacks!!
opmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #40
NA$TY-TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opmiii View Post
Wow you guys are deep!! Thanks for the write-up. I just ordered the 64oz of the Meguiars Synthetic 2.0 since I could not find it local. I hope I get it in before the San Antonio trip to Blackjacks!!
Hit me up when you get to Black Jacks. I love detailing and have more then enough knowledge to share. You should see what ive acquired over the years. A full wall of Adam's. Love the stuff. Buy it by the gallon now.

Kyle
NA$TY-TA is offline   Reply With Quote