opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Body, Appearance, Detailing

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
MuhThugga

Send a message via AIM to MuhThugga
Testing different products.

I've always used Zaino, however the cost is getting to be a bit much. Especially if I can find good substitutes that do the same job for a lower price.
So, I've been looking around at other things.

I used to use layer upon layer of Zaino Z-2 Pro, since I found that Z-5 is an utter waste of money and doesn't do **** in terms of hiding/filling swirls and scratches. So, I started looking around, and Meguiars' Mirror Glaze product line really started to catch my eye.

So, here is my comparison between Z-2 Pro and Meguiars Synthetic Sealant 2.0:

Z-2 Pro: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=6

$14.95 for 8 oz bottle

Z-2 Pro does deliver a nice shine to it, and does leave the paint finish smooth as glass. It goes on easily, covers well (should only need an ounce or so to do an average-sized car twice), and has that famous Zaino aroma.

Synthetic Sealant 2.0: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...T1=MEG+SEA2+16

$21.99 for 16oz or $48.49 for 64 oz

This can be used as a final coat, however I have used it as an initial coat. It covers much of the same as Z-2 Pro does. This means that it lasts longer, because you only need one coat of this. Zaino recommends layering the stuff. So, for $21.99, the 16 oz bottle, in theory, can cover 32 cars, whereas Zaino covers 8.

Another reason I looked at this sealant from Meguiars was to get away from having to use Zaino ZFX: the flash-cure additive Z-2 Pro requires in order to be "layered." The Meguiars Sealant you just shake, and apply. This eliminates another $19.95 you have to spend for Zaino.

In my honest opinion, this is a very cost-effective substitute to Z-2 Pro that delivers the same results. It helps me especially, since I've been using Pinnacle Souveran as a top-coat, and that stuff is $80 for 8 oz.... and is worth every penny.

Here is my buddy's BMW with one coat of Meguiars and one coat of Pinnacle. I swear, the first time I touched it after I was done, it felt like I was touching a cloud.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000087.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	4   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000091.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	5  
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Daniel Linnett
All in MODeration

Nice write up! I will look into it.

Daniel Linnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
MuhThugga

I just dropped $200 on Mirror Glaze stuff.

I would also highly recommend their #2 Fine-Cut. It works well on getting the swirls and scratches.

I just ordered their heavy-cut and a medium-cut buffer pad. I'm going to see how that does on my 2000 BMW 323i, which I don't think has been detailed or waxed ever.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
IBMROB

Man I really do need someone to tell me the proper way of detailing a car.Seems like from what I've heard from you good detailers out there is that I don't do near enough when I do my car.

I have never used a sealant on any of my cars.What is the difference between sealant and wax?That may be a dumb question,but I really don't know what sealant is used for.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks/GSRII struts,Lovells RR bushings,and King springs 0 drop rears,20mm drop fronts.
IBMROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
Daniel Linnett
All in MODeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMROB View Post
Man I really do need someone to tell me the proper way of detailing a car.Seems like from what I've heard from you good detailers out there is that I don't do near enough when I do my car.

I have never used a sealant on any of my cars.What is the difference between sealant and wax?That may be a dumb question,but I really don't know what sealant is used for.
Join the club. I hate detailing a car. Betty gets a good was once a week with micro fiber sponges and dried with MF towels. I use turtle wax liquid ice car wash then dry the car. I do use a liquid wax but it is the maguiars NXT generation tech wax. I really want to get the swirl marks out of the car but dont want to spend 4hrs cleaning my car lol

Daniel Linnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Country Goat

Send a message via AIM to Country Goat
**** my car gets washed when i get around to it. Only time it gets detailed is when Thug there does it. i despise waxing.

Nice write up Jeff.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Youngguns350
Tom Brady

Working 6 days a week makes it hard for me to keep it clean but when I do have the time the car sure does look good.

Good write up OP.
Youngguns350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
MuhThugga

Quote:

The sealant is used for paint protection. Wax is, too, but sealant lasts longer.
Wax brings out the shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Linnett View Post
Join the club. I hate detailing a car. Betty gets a good was once a week with micro fiber sponges and dried with MF towels. I use turtle wax liquid ice car wash then dry the car. I do use a liquid wax but it is the maguiars NXT generation tech wax. I really want to get the swirl marks out of the car but dont want to spend 4hrs cleaning my car lol
Heh, either one of you guys want to buy me a plane ticket and fly me in, I'll give you a few lessons and a detail.
Of course, with the way airport security it, I don't know if I'd be able to bring the products along with me. They might think I'll try to blow up the plane with some sort of chemical bomb or something. LOL
Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
silverls2gto05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
I just dropped $200 on Mirror Glaze stuff.

I would also highly recommend their #2 Fine-Cut. It works well on getting the swirls and scratches.

I just ordered their heavy-cut and a medium-cut buffer pad. I'm going to see how that does on my 2000 BMW 323i, which I don't think has been detailed or waxed ever.

Good lord!!!!!! That mirror glaze better of come with a babe in a bikini to wax the car for ya

504 HP
515 TQ @ 7 PSI
All work done by East Texas Muscle Cars

http://www.easttexasmusclecars.com/

silverls2gto05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
MuhThugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverls2gto05 View Post
Good lord!!!!!! That mirror glaze better of come with a babe in a bikini to wax the car for ya
lol

It wasn't $200 for wax.

A bunch of different products like clear glass polish and cleaner, wet sandpaper, heavy-cut cleaner, medium cut buffer pads, and some other things.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
iblubyu
Not fast enough!!!

I use the Meguires NXT wax. I think it works very well
Procharger D1SC, Comp Cams Custom Cam, ALKY Control Meth kit, Walboro 255, 57# FAST injectors, Ported Intake Manifold and throttle body, Kooks 1-7/8 headers, Corsa Sport, Monster Stage 4 clutch, Elite Engineering catch can, Pedders Street 2, Rebuilt Trans, Hendrix-Engineering 2 piece driveshaft, 1000HP hub to stub, Harrop Diff Cover, CCW 505a's, SCSS Gator Pod w/ Voltage and Oil Pressure, SCSS dual a-pillar Vac/boost and A/F wideband.
597 RWHP-539 RWT
Tuned By Race Proven Motorsports
iblubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
Trents_goat5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverls2gto05 View Post
If you think that's bad, you should see what Spyral will drop on some detailing stuff. He uses top of the line stuff, and it gets very expensive. I like to clay bar, wax, and polish every 6 months.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
schufflerbot
fantasticus moderatus

i cant wait to get my car back and detail the hell out of her.

PS LT headers, PS catless mids, custom magnaflow CB, torquer V2 cam, PRC springs, double roller timing chain, HF oil pump, Lovells 3/4" eliminator kit, drag bags, Hendrix-Engineering street slayer clutch, TICK performance MC, B&M ripper shifter... ~400/374
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
soonergto

If you like Meguiars stuff, also check out the #80. Its pretty much the go to product in my garage for swirl removal with the DA.
soonergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
DEyellowgoat

nice write up jeff. i use products from griots garage.

04 YJ M6
Race Proven Motorsports-tune 344rwhp 357rwtq / Kooks SS / SLP / AEM /
Pedders / Rocksand Racing / B&M / BMR / 5% tint / 17"stock rims-chromed

all made possible with the loving support of my wife, Linda(avatar)
DEyellowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
soonergto

I love meguiars stuff.

Here are a few detail pics of cars ive done with Meguiars.

Last edited by soonergto; 07-27-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
MuhThugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonergto View Post
If you like Meguiars stuff, also check out the #80. Its pretty much the go to product in my garage for swirl removal with the DA.
Speed Glaze, huh?

I'll have to give it a shot on my next go-around. I'll probably use that for the final polish before putting on the sealant and wax.
Right now I just have the Zaino ZPC and that sh*t is a waste of money.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
soonergto

I always make sure to have some of the #80 speed glaze. Its a very versatile product. Great for removing light swirls, and its body shop safe. If you apply it like a wax, you can actually put it on fresh paint so you have some protection until you can wax it properly.

Check it out, ive always got a bunch of that and some #83 when I use the DA. Always gives me the results I expect.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
MuhThugga

Right now I've been using Fine-Cut, Medium-Cut, and now just picked up Heavy-Cut cleaner.
Have you used their #9 Swirl Remover? I was looking at that, as well. Meguiars appears to recommend using #9 as a follow-up to the #4 Heavy-Cut.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
soonergto

#9 is ok, its good for a final polish after some heavy removal. I have some, never really use it. Some of the meguiars products (#80, 83, 9, ScratchX, and a few others) have diminishing abrasives, so once they are only so aggressive. Because of this you can use #80 as the last step, and sometimes the first, when polishing it out. Once you get into the higher abrasives for rotaries (84, 85, 95, etc.) they don't diminish like that, so they always need to be followed up with something else.

Are you using a DA or a rotary with these?

Last edited by soonergto; 07-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
05cyclone
Snorkel!

I need to learn how to properly do this stuff.
05cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #22
soonergto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cyclone View Post
I need to learn how to properly do this stuff.
Call this guy, he is in the LA area.

http://www.superiorshine.com/index.html

The owners name is Joe, he does amazing work on some amazing cars.

Also, the meguiars office in CA is always having open garage nights and detail days. If you have a car club, they will often have dedicated detail days for that and will teach you how to do it. Check out the meguiars forum and see when they are offered.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #23
gtohmy
ba ba bumblegoat

Actually if your San Diego area you can pm me and we can talk about getting your car taken care of. I am glad there is some love here for megs pro/semi pro lines, they make a good product for the dollar. The 105/205 and 151 have been excellent in performance and time savings for me when used correctly.

The #9 has a filler in it, so if your using it as just a polish, you need to be sure to remove it properly if you want the sealent to seal correctly. Now if your going to use a pureish type of wax, then you don't need to worry about it.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." -Mark Donohue

"Good design costs nothing. You have to bend the metal anyway, so you may as well bend it in a way that looks good"- Peter Horbury
gtohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #24
slowgoat
Bann3d

Where is Dr. Jay when you need him most LOL
slowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #25
gtohmy
ba ba bumblegoat

Quote:
Thanks for the invite by the way. It's not a dumb question is a good question. If people knew the difference maybe they would stop using the term "wax" for every last step product on a car. The most basic explanation is a wax usually has products made from nature in it (most usually carnauba) and sealants are synthetically based products in it (man made).

The differences are in length of protection and the way the paint looks/appears/etc with the product. Usually sealants can last longer then waxes and usually waxes have a "deeper" and "wetter" look to them. I am being extremely general though in those comments. There are always exceptions to the rules and the way paint looks is often very subjective. Some people even combine wax on top of the sealant so they can get the protection while obtaining the look they desire.

In my opinion you need to ask yourself several questions before you decide which kind of product and which manufacture of product you start to look at to use as an LSP.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." -Mark Donohue

"Good design costs nothing. You have to bend the metal anyway, so you may as well bend it in a way that looks good"- Peter Horbury
gtohmy is offline   Reply With Quote