opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Engine Tech

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
goatherder

Recommendation?

133k miles. Probably time to change spark plugs and wires. Suggestions? I'm thinking NGK, but wanted suggestions on what might be best for the $. She's stock, no tune. Thanks!
goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Firehawk409

NGK is the most popular and can't really go wrong with them. Stock is platinum so you can go with that being your stock but they do cost more. The copper(TR55) is a better conductor and is cheaper but wont last as long. That's what I have in my GTO now. When I had my lt1 I used autolites. For some reason I seemed to have problems with the NGK and there was no explanation or reason for it. Put in the cheap copper autolites and it ran great. I think Hinson Motorsports is running a special if you buy their plug wires with heat boots you get plugs for free. You don't need the heat boots so maybe it's not worth it. Though their plug wires alone are not a bad deal.
Firehawk409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
goatherder

Good deal. Thanks. I had been thinking, the car ran great on the stock Delco plugs and wires, so may just go that route again. Thanks for the info on the NGK's and Hinson Motorsports. Guess I'll check out pricing and go from there. Thanks again!
goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Firehawk409

Dont forget to check out amazon and eBay. I got my plugs dirt cheap off ebay. Idk why but whatever... They were new ngk and they work with no issues.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
mwritter

I ran NGKs for quite a while but got tired of changing them out all the time. I went back to a factory ZR1 plug and haven't regretted it.
mwritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Firehawk409

Well if you got copper then ya you would be changing them sooner. Get a platinum or iridium of your choice and it will last longer. Just really depends on what mods you have or if not modded at all.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
Steamwalker
Druid

Stock is iridium. I've just replaced with OEM ACDelcos.