opinion-blackandwhite
Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
More GTO info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > Regional Forums > Texas > ACGH (Alamo City Goat Herd)

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
S.A. GOAT
Blown

DDM Tuning-HID Kit Slim Ballast

Which kit did you guys get? 35W or 55W?

How was the install? Need any adapters or harnesses, or just the slim kit?

LQ9 Forged Iron/D1SC/L92/L76/Custom Aeromotive Fuel System/Snow/Viper Spec Stage IV trans/RPS Stage III/634/559 at 12psi - SD Tuned by Nelson Performance
S.A. GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
dantheman
Best Moderator Ever

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
ive got the 55w in my gto and my lexus and ill be putting one in my gf's gto as well. in my gto for 2 years now and my lexus for 2 weeks. working great as usual.

nothing else needed with the slim kit. its only a 6amp draw at fire up and 2.5-3amp constant while running. the factory wiring is perfectly suited for this level.

from what i hear the 55w is on a 6week backorder. everything is plug and play except for cutting the hole in the headlight housing cap. but a 1in hole saw or drill bit makes quick work of it then just a bit of rtv to help seal the boot to it.

here is my install thread. its on the "other" site
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278615

SNL 346, AFR 205s, TSP 233/239, SLP pulley, MTI TB, poolshark ported intake, SW LT's, Monster Stage 3, pedders street II, BMR bar & bags, stiff drivetrain mounts, VMR V710s 18in staggered in hyper silver.

Last edited by dantheman; 03-16-2011 at 08:09 PM.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Robofuzz
What kit do you need from http://www.ddmtuning.com?

2005 GTO - MBM M6 (slightly modded)
Robofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
MannyLobo
HGH Optimist

Send a message via AIM to MannyLobo Send a message via Yahoo to MannyLobo
I have the 35w kit, myself. Still A LOT better lighting than the stock bulbs. I had matching lows and fogs, and I could see out front very well.

If you end up buying 55w, be sure to buy a wiring harness. And no matter which kind you get, be sure to pull your DRL fuse located under your hood. Everything else is pretty straightforward.
Whoa: Powder Coated '05/'06 Brakes, Russell Stainless Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Chelsea: 2005 GMC Yukon SLT - Deep Blue Metallic --- The New Daily
MannyLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
S.A. GOAT
Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofuzz View Post
What kit do you need from http://www.ddmtuning.com?

was thinking the 35W HID Kit Slim Ballast

LQ9 Forged Iron/D1SC/L92/L76/Custom Aeromotive Fuel System/Snow/Viper Spec Stage IV trans/RPS Stage III/634/559 at 12psi - SD Tuned by Nelson Performance
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. GOAT View Post
was thinking the 35W HID Kit Slim Ballast
Yes but which bulb kit(s) do we need? H11?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
S.A. GOAT
Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
ive got the 55w in my gto and my lexus and ill be putting one in my gf's gto as well. in my gto for 2 years now and my lexus for 2 weeks. working great as usual.

nothing else needed with the slim kit. its only a 6amp draw at fire up and 2.5-3amp constant while running. the factory wiring is perfectly suited for this level.

from what i hear the 55w is on a 6week backorder. everything is plug and play except for cutting the hole in the headlight housing cap. but a 1in hole saw or drill bit makes quick work of it then just a bit of rtv to help seal the boot to it.

great info. thanks a million.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
S.A. GOAT
Blown

Quote:
Yes but which bulb kit(s) do we need? H11?
crap. Good question. I was going to get the H1. Guess I'll research some more.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Lancer-AM
The All-Seeing Mod

H11 for the lows. Depending on how good the kit is, you shouldn't have to pull the DRL fuse. I have installed two of the 35w kits I sell in GTO's and both worked with no flicker with the DRL's on.

Stratified S-OTS Stg2 93
JBR Power Path Stage 3
JBR 70A RMM
Autotech HPFP Internals
CP-E TMIC
Sure Short Shift Plate
ABT Slotted Rotors
Cobb 3" Downpipe
Swift Spec-R Springs
JBR Rear Sway Bar
Lancer-AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Forgive my ignorance but you would need to order two H11 kits for the low beams, correct? And two kits for the high beams and also two kits if you wanted to do the fogs?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
rebinc
Legal in 41 States

Each kit normally includes a pair, so only one kit of H11.

One of DDM ballasts finally took a **** two weeks ago, 2.5 years isn't bad for $50.
rebinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
MannyLobo
HGH Optimist

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but you would need to order two H11 kits for the low beams, correct? And two kits for the high beams and also two kits if you wanted to do the fogs?
REB is right, one kit consists of a pair.

H11 for the lows, H9 for the highs, and 9005 for the fogs. From what I've read, the highs aren't really necessary. HIDs weren't made to turn on and off, so your highs would rarely be used. Unless you're a dick, and drive around with your high beams on. Haha.

(FYI: Your fog lights will be reverse polarity, as well.)
Whoa: Powder Coated '05/'06 Brakes, Russell Stainless Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
Zdeuce4
I do work

Send a message via AIM to Zdeuce4
i ordered mine a week and a half ago. 35 w 5000k. i hate blue hids. i like pure white. no yellow no blue

on the drl comment. i've heard the fuse needs to be removed not because of flicker, but because the drls pull a lower wattage from the light..

do gtos use the his or lows for drls?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #14
MannyLobo
HGH Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdeuce4 View Post
i ordered mine a week and a half ago. 35 w 5000k. i hate blue hids. i like pure white. no yellow no blue

on the drl comment. i've heard the fuse needs to be removed not because of flicker, but because the drls pull a lower wattage from the light..

do gtos use the his or lows for drls?
I thank you, sir, for HATING blue HIDs. That is what caused my first accident in the GTO. Couldn't see a guy hauling towards me, and I jumped a curb to avoid being T-boned.

Some people don't realize how much pure white light shines better and safer. I got the same temp and wattage as you, so I know what yours look like.

You're also right about the DRL fuse. The GTOs use the lows, and the HIDs don't like being run all day, especially at that lower power. You're sure to run the HIDs out quicker, if you leave them on and/or turn them on and off too much.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
ccalhoun29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

Hey do you have the part number for this kit ?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
Lancer-AM
The All-Seeing Mod

The lower wattage from DRL's will cause some kits to flicker. Running them all the time isn't really a problem, HID bulbs have a higher life expectancy than standard halogen bulbs. Running them in your Highs doesn't do much good unless you run a 55w kit on your highs, putting a 35 watt kit in your highs would produce the same ammount of light as your lows it just wouldn't be focused because of no projector lens.

Stratified S-OTS Stg2 93
JBR Power Path Stage 3
JBR 70A RMM
Autotech HPFP Internals
CP-E TMIC
Sure Short Shift Plate
ABT Slotted Rotors
Cobb 3" Downpipe
Swift Spec-R Springs
JBR Rear Sway Bar
Lancer-AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
dantheman
Best Moderator Ever

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
from my order email

DDM55W.H11.5000K

DDM HID Kit, 55W, H11, 5000K
Wattage: 55 Watt (+$10.00)
Bulb Color: 5000K
Bulb Type: H11

my DRL fuse has been out since i put them in because of flickering. i hate the look of DRL anyway so it doesnt matter. i always run with my parking lights and fogs during the day and click on the HIDs at night.

they have been in the car since dec 09 and havent had any problems even after being in a front end wreck that destroyed the headlight, the HID survived.

SNL 346, AFR 205s, TSP 233/239, SLP pulley, MTI TB, poolshark ported intake, SW LT's, Monster Stage 3, pedders street II, BMR bar & bags, stiff drivetrain mounts, VMR V710s 18in staggered in hyper silver.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote